Thursday 29 September 2011

"We've got all this picture and no sound and they've got all this sound and no picture..."

 -A quote from my lecturer, describing the basis of what's soon to be a hopefully long and fruitful relationship between animator and music producer at the University of Wolverhampton. Today, I went networking.


I'd actually been looking forward to today. Excited, almost. But it was until this morning that I realised that I'd invested no prior thought as to how I would conduct myself, or what questions I would ask. Basically, today the animation class took a trip to the Walsall campus to meet the third year music students. The idea was that we'd all meet together in a room, get talking, and see if we could scratch each other's proverbial backs. We have to create a final film. That film is going to need music. The music students have to create music. That music needs a film. Can you feel Hollywood stealing another movie plot?


So the meeting was conducted in a very casual manner. It was held in the campus' lounge area to the main hall; ornamented with a plethora of leather sofas, wall mounted flat screen LG TVs and fresh new carpet, all of which using a colour scheme not too dissimilar from a modern day McDonalds (...sorry, it needed to be said). The number of music students outnumbered us by around 2:1 so we planned to talk and mingle in groups of such. The original plan was a strictly regimented speed dating-like set-up but thankfully we managed to abandon that plan while still keeping all the inherit awkwardness that comes with.


I think it well. I meet a good ole' bunch of people and would definitely enjoy following up our haphazard assembly with more correspondence and collaborations. At some point beforehand I surmised that I was really looking for someone I would be able to work with closely, on more of a friendship basis, as opposed to a client or a business contact of some sort. I think together, we'd be able to produce better quality sounds than with the separation a professional front brings. Yep. A couple emails definitely need to be sent.

No comments:

Post a Comment