Saturday 22 October 2011

That Flippin' Festival.

So this coming weekend brings the FLIP festival to Wolverhampton. The future of FLIP was a little up in the air last year with funding issues and a lack of public interest and whatnot, but huzzah it's here for one more year. The organisation team left it a little later than usual to get the programme up but it's up now and looks alright.


Key spots that stand out are the Bill Plympton masterclass and the Aardman: Workshop. Bill Plympton, being a bit of celebrity in animation circles, is going to gravitate quite an audience. Same is true for Aardman, one of the biggest animation companies in the world despite the handicap of being british-born, who have one of the more fun, family-friendly aesthetics both to create and to see. Bill will be making/signing original work and Aardman will proably be going through development of their new film Pirates: Band of Misfits!


Outside those a few of the Open Shorts are always a treat. Especially with Ravi Maheru's "Caged" and Gary Jones' "Overtime" playing at Open Shorts 5 on Saturday. The Operavox looks interesting too as well as the "Drinks and Networking". Though I always hate when the word 'networking' is added onto the title of something. It makes supposed light-hearted social affairs awkwardly official and gives the entire thing the feeling of being on edge for a reason you're not entirely sure of. It's essentially the difference between sending a private message on facebook and sending a private message on LinkedIn.




Oh, and finally, yesterday was the day of a pretty important professional pitch. I'm not sure how much I can say about it (and I'm probably being needlessly secretive) but it was a pitch concerning a potential short clip to be played on a big television network. I did the best I could and presented my idea with as much clarity and professionalism as I could muster. Although I was up against some very good career rivals/talented contempories I hope the potential in my idea came through and that I get called back for a follow up.


No comments:

Post a Comment