Saturday 29 October 2011

FLIP - Day 3

So I went to the second day of FLIP today (well the third day, technically), and attended a few more animation related events. A couple discussion talks and a couple Open Shorts later and I can evaluate that while today wasn't as good as yesterday, it was just about worthwhile to validate the weekend pass.


I started off with the Aardman Showreel and Q&A. It was hosted by one of Aardman's head model makers, Jim Parkyn. I have to say, while he mentioned that Aardman have been using CGI in some of their produce, unless you had a great interest in the processes behind model making, working with clay & armatures and, by extension, an interest in stop-motion animation in general, you wouldn't have found it entertaining at all. He showed off a fantastic showreel of Aardman's works over recent years (which was like eating a great-animation flavoured sundae topped off with nostalgia sauce) before going into the work behind achieving the Were-Rabbit from "Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" and the work behind Creature Comforts. He also showed off behind the scenes videos throughout the presentation which was the only thing keeping me awake was genuinely interesting material.




Next, founders of Cosgrove Hall Films, Brian Cosgrove and Mark Hall had a discussion with Marc Silk (voice actor) about their life and times in the animation world of yesteryear. These are the men responsible for Danger Mouse, Count Duckula, Wind In The Willows & Postman Pat and you could visibly see Marc Silk's childlike abandon as he barely contained the gleeful screaming little boy within him who just wanted to thank the men that made his after school hours that little bit richer. Sadly, this wasn't a feeling I could replicate since their work was popular in a generation before my time. I mean, I'm aware of Danger Mouse, Postman Pat, etc. but I didn't follow them episode by episode, day by day. Danger Mouse was cancelled the year after I was born, and Count Duckula ended the year after! Whether I was aware or their work or not, hearing them was nice. It was a very personal and intimate affair (despite the fact that they were on stage in an auditorium with at least 30 people were staring intently) were we heard about their woes and work ethics. Mark Hall said that when he was 9 he was playing with marionette toys, which clearly showed his interest in puppetry at a young age. Brian Cosgrove cited that one of his loves in animation is when you film a cycle of drawings you made in sequence. Watching it move, he called it similar to creating life.Then again he also said the way some people (including himself) are willing to draw morning, noon and night and enjoy it can on be the result of some kind of disease so, swings and roundabouts I guess. On a more professional front they also talked about their treatment of voice actors in Danger Mouse (and how they liked the human inflections invoked on a character of their creation through just a human voice) and some of the troubles with budgets and finding a cheaper method of animating rather than through cel. A talk worthy of note, from two legends of the field. I'm almost sad that the appreciation was lost on me but at the very least I can understand the work it takes and the ability they must possess to achieve what they have.


A storyboard for Count Duckula handed out at the talk


Finally, Midlands-born, award winning duo, The Brothers McLeod presented their new half hour film, "Isle of Spagg". I really enjoyed it. The animation was fluid, the colours were beautifully complimentary, and the humour was top quality with just the perfect amount of edge. Though I didn't particularly like the character designs and drawing style in general (the crazy lines/distorted perspectives of the environments was just too off-putting for me in this one), I laughed my head off and had a great time watching it. Beforehand Greg and Myles they went through their work process, explaining (in a strictly enforced 30 minutes) everything from artistic inspirations to script writing through to production. Their influences seemed very long-winded but all necessary apparently, and hearing their work process (and the fact that both brothers are colourblind :O) was quite educational. It was a great session, the best of the day in fact, with two great practitioners and two funny, amiable men that serve as an inspiration in their own regard.


There were a couple other events and showings but I chose to leave it there. I attended a couple of the Open Shorts showing throughout the day as well. Notable pieces included my friend's Gary Jones' "Overtime" & Ravi Maheru's "Caged". Also "The Marking of Longbird" Dir. Will Anderson (which I'd seen before), "All Consuming LoveDir. Louis Hudon (which I'd seen before and would love to see again and again), "Lighting in a Bottle" Dir. Jennifer Padgett, "Gato Encerrado" Dir. Peque Varela (though it's length was grating), and strangely enough "Hogan" Dir. Peter Millard and "Moxie" Dir. Stephen Irwin had its moments. Nevertheless, being shortlisted is a wonderful honor and no matter who wins the competition, all film makers should be very proud.


And like that, FLIP festival has come to a close for another year. Next year I'll be a graduate and the next in line to showcase my talents at the festival, hopefully riding the flag high with my final film for myself and for Wolverhampton University. Can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment